AKS Engineering & Forestry (AKS) has an immediate opening for a construction inspector for our Vancouver, Washington office. This is a full-time/part-time or contract position working closely with AKS project managers, project engineers, and project surveyors and coordinating with on-site contractor personnel. The focus of this position is to provide field inspection during construction activities to ensure infrastructure projects are being built according to plans and specifications.
AKS offers a supportive work environment with an excellent benefit package and opportunities for personal and professional growth. If you are looking to continue your career while working with a well-respected and talented team of professionals, you’ll want to consider AKS.
- CESCL certification (required)
- 3+ years’ experience in the construction/engineering industry (required)
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing, in a professional manner to contractors, fellow employees, outside consultants, governmental agency representatives, and City officials.
- AS in Surveying or Civil Engineering Technology, or BS in Civil Engineering and/or Forest Engineering
- Considerable skill in reading and interpreting construction drawings, plans and specifications, and contract documents
- Comprehensive knowledge of building construction, materials and methods.
- Considerable knowledge of public works inspection methods.
- Ability to perform required mathematical computations.
- Ability to work quickly, manage multiple and conflicting deadlines, and establish priorities.
- Takes personal responsibility for completing quality work within budgets and timelines.
- Working knowledge of applicable laws, standards and regulations relating to construction, inspection, safety and traffic control.
- Ability to prepare, organize and maintain inspection field and office data, reports and systems.
- Physically capable of moving about on construction work sites (required)
Working with the Project Manager/Project Engineer, specific responsibilities will include:
- Read and interpret construction plans and specifications
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Inspect and document the construction progress of streets, earthwork and utilities to assure compliance with contract documents, specifications and building codes
- Prepare Construction Inspection reports
- Manage construction related issues either directly or working with the AKS Project Manager
- Review field staking
- Complete projects and special assignments as requested
- Manage own schedule to be present at staged inspections, meetings, and meet deadlines
- Represent AKS through communication with contractor, municipal agents, and client
- Measure and quantify construction work/materials with emphasis on documentation
- Review contractor billing to client and verifies billed quantities
- Attend pre-construction meetings
- Act as a liaison between AKS Project Manager and contractor/client/municipal agents
- Do what needs to be done